To see if I'm on the air right now click here

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A power supply for a 1939 Transmitter

With my KX3 n the shop because of a bad output transistor and cool weather returning to SE Minnesota I'm again in the basement looking at boat anchor projects. One project on my list is to clean up the power supply for my 1939 transmitter. Right now I've borrowed the power supply from my 1951 novice station to power the oscillator/buffer stages and used a second 500VDC supply for the TZ-20 amplifier stage. Needless to say, these don't show up in my blog photos of the transmitter.

My new power supply is a pretty brute force design delivering 550VDC, 300VDC and 150VDV to the transmitter using two power transformers, a couple of 5R4 rectifiers, a VR-150 and the needed filtering circuits. It will be two fairly heavy supplies on one chassis.

I found all of the transformers and components in my junque box but not a stout enough chassis for all of the iron. I turned to my slat board design to take care of this shortage.

No comments: