To see if I'm on the air right now click here

Monday, September 21, 2015

Travels with a KX3

Big Bay State Park,
Madeline Island, WI
Beth and I have just returned from a short excursion to Wisconsin. We spent a couple of nights on Madeline Island, the largest of the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior and a long weekend near
Bukolt Park
Stevens Point, WI
Stevens Point in central Wisconsin. Of course my KX3 bag was one of the first things in the car.

My operating style is never highly competitive ... I find a picnic spot with a handy tree  (and, maybe, a good view), setup and then call CQ while checking the reverse beacon network to see if anyone might hear me. During this trip I was on both 20 and 30 meter CW working both coasts and as far south as MO. Along the way I also got to talk about ham radio to curious passers-by that happened to notice the wire in the tree and the techie looking gizmo on the table.

1 comment:

Nigel said...

"Along the way I also got to talk about ham radio to curious passers-by that happened to notice the wire in the tree and the techie looking gizmo on the table." I have the same issue working 'roadside /P' on holiday in Europe. I can, and don't mind, explaining what I'm doing in French or Spanish, but this last trip, when asked what I was doing, I just told them I was a spy. That quickly sorts out which of them has a sense of humour. Perhaps I should also learn to like prison food!! Nigel GJ7LJJ