To see if I'm on the air right now click here

Sunday, April 21, 2013

It's not quite Spring in Minnesota

Last week Beth had an all day conference scheduled in the cities. I had the day free so this sounded like a great opportunity for some QRP in a different park.

Plans are made to be changed. The night before Beth's conference we got over 6" of snow and the temperature was forecast to be in the mid 30s. In the past I have participated in the FYBO QSO party but I wasn't planning on it this year. Where might I operate my KX3 from while staying warm and dry?

Eventually I thought of the Pavek Museum of Broadcasting. Located in St Louis Park, just west of
downtown Minneapolis, it is home to a great collection of antique radio, television and broadcasting equipment. It also includes a ham radio club, W0OEP, built around two Collins stations. On Friday I was more interested in the beam outside.

Steve Raymer, the museum curator, helped me get my KX3 plugged into the club yagi and I was on the air, warm and dry: a good combination for a cold snowy day in Minnesota. 20 mtr CW QSOs included VE3OF in Ontario and KK4BOB in Florida. Operating time was interrupted a couple of time, once while Steve demonstrated the museum spark transmitter and the other for a museum guided tour.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

HI from Norm W8MPM.
I also have a NC-81x which I purchased from another ham in 1953 when I was a Novice. It was my first "real" ham receiver. Prior to getting it I used a borrowed Crosley table model radio which had shortwave on it (80 meters). I copied CW by the hisses as it had no BFO. The National was a vast improvement, and I used it for about 10 years. I have since added an isolation transformer, as this one did not have it as some of them did. Still enjoy listening on it, and will be using it with a newly aquired Hallicrafters HT-40 on AM. 73 Norm W8mpm@yahoo.com